"The Lord, your God, is in your midst, a mighty savior, who will rejoice over you with gladness, and renew you in his love" (Zephaniah 3:17).
"For where your treasure is, there also will be your heart" (Matthew 6:21).
The season of Lent begins this Wednesday. Lent is a forty-day period of fasting, prayer, penitence, and almsgiving as we prepare for Easter- when Christ rises from the dead and frees us from the bondage of sin. During Lent, we join Christ in the desert for forty days and recall the events leading up to His great sacrifice and miraculous Resurrection.
Lent is a wonderful time for us to catch our breath during the race to the end of the school year. We recall our own mortality and atone for our sins. It is a special time for mending our relationships with each other and our God.
The resources below are just a few of the many wonderful resources available to help us prepare for Lent and grow spiritually during this season of Lent. I invite you to use them, send them to friends, or share with your students. Use this Lent to find silence, deepen your relationship with Christ, and prepare for the joyous Resurrection of Christ Jesus. The Office of Campus Ministry supports you in your spiritual formation and seeks to journey alongside you.
- Fasting & Abstinence
- Click above to learn more about the teaching and tradition of the Church regarding fasting and abstinence.
- Sacred Space- Lent E-Retreat
- The Irish Jesuits have created weekly e-retreats, providing a brief pause in the busyness of our day.
- Lectio divina for Lent (Diocese of Portland)
- Ancient monastic form of prayer rooted in reading, meditation, contemplation, and prayer.
- Lent Calendar (USCCB)
- Access the daily readings, prayers, reflections, and information about the Saint of the day.
- Sacrament of Reconciliation
- Local parishes will be hosting evening Reconciliation services. Click the link to see the schedule for the Diocese of San Bernardino.
- Dynamic Catholic: Best Lent Ever
- Free program offered by Dynamic Catholic offering daily emails with inspirational videos, practical tips, prayers, and stories.
- Read Scripture
- Encounter God through His Word. Daily readings can be accessed on the USCCB website. Audio readings and video reflections are also available.
- Stations of the Cross
- Journey alongside Jesus in the final moments of his Passion.
- Creighton University's Praying Lent
- Creighton University provides daily Lenten prayers, daily reflections, short essays, and numerous resources.
- Loyola Press - Inspiration During Lent
- This Jesuit apostolate a listing of articles, reflections, and meditations to help inspire during the season of Lent.
- Lenten Imaginative Prayer (Arts& Faith)- IgnatianSpirituality.com
- Weekly video featuring a work of art inspired by Sunday readings with Lenten-themed commentary.
Lastly, check out "Pray as You Go," a daily podcast available for free online and in the app store. These 10-15 minute audio sessions provide a daily prayer session and contain music, scripture, and reflection questions. Something to consider for your commute or off-period!