How do I qualify for a Cal Grant?
Cal Grants are for students who are pursuing an undergraduate degree or vocational or career training and do not have to be repaid. In addition to meeting the financial criteria and Cal Grant requirements, you must:
- submit the FAFSA or Dream Act application and your verified Cal Grant GPA by the March 2nd Cal Grant deadline
- be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen or meet AB540 eligibility criteria
- be a California resident for 1 year
- plan on attending a qualifying California college (University of California, California State or California Community College)
- have financial need at the college of your choice
- have family income and assets below the minimum levels
- be enrolled or plan to enroll in a program leading to an undergraduate degree or certificate
- be enrolled or plan to enroll at least half time
- have registered with the U.S. Selective Service, if required to do so
- not owe a refund on any state or federal grant or be in default on a student loan
Students and Parents
If you have questions about the financial aid, call toll free at (888) CA GRANT (888-224-7268), Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 4:45 pm or e-mail Studentsupport@csac.ca.gov.
WebGrants 4 Students (WG4S) will allow you to manage your Cal Grant and/or Chafee account(s) online by letting you view updates, make school changes, make address changes, and post leave of absence requests.
For information on programs and how to apply, visit our webpage on Financial Aid Programs.